How can new knowledge on forest productivity drivers be implemented in NZ planted forests?
Taupo & Rangipo
Tuesday 20 August 2019, 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm (Taupo, brief intro/social evening, Suncourt Hotel)
Wednesday 21 August 2019, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm (Rangipo, field trip)
Identifying the drivers that can close the gap between current and potential productivity in planted forests has been one of the key research areas of the ‘Growing confidence in Forestry’s Future (GCFF)’ research programme.
This workshop and field trip will provide a forum for foresters to explore the latest outcomes of the GCFF programme and to exchange ideas and experiences on how to test and implement interventions designed to enhance forest productivity.
The GCFF accelerator trial network and the approaches being tested at these and other sites will be discussed with a specific focus on opportunities to apply these to the wider planted forest estate.
Topics to be addressed include:
- land preparation options,
- site-specific stock selection,
- stocking levels and spacing configuration,
- new approaches to manage nutrition,
- implications for wood formation and
- utilising new technologies to monitor forests over time.
Interactive discussions and hands on exercises will provide attendees with opportunities to:
- better determine the potential productivity of their forests,
- develop management strategies to achieve target productivity levels,
- design experiments to test potential strategies on their own estates, and
- become more familiar with the tools available to effectively monitor forest productivity over time.
This workshop is intended for forest managers, consultants, tree breeders and other interested stakeholders.
We look forward to welcoming you in Taupo/Rangipo.
John Moore, Peter Clinton and the GCFF team
Brief intro/social evening: Tuesday 20 August 2019, 7.30-8.30+pm
- At Suncourt Hotel, 14 Northcroft St, Tauhara 2 meeting room.
- Bring a small soil sample (a teaspoon is enough) to measure microbial functions in our ‘Bento boxes’ which are designed to check samples on the spot.
- Light refreshments (finger food platters) included; drinks available at cash bar.
Field trip logistics: Wednesday 21 August 2019, 8am-5pm
- 8:00 am. Meet in Taupo (meeting point: Suncourt Hotel, 14 Northcroft St), transportation by minivan or own transport.
- If weather is permitting the day will be spent at the Rangipo accelerator field trial. A weather back-up plan will be based in Taupo.
- A packed lunch will be provided.
- Taupo Airport drop off by 5:15 pm or earlier.
- Participants to book their own accommodation where preferred
- Suncourt Hotel offers a reduced rate (quote Group Reservation #67132) ($142 per night for Standard Twin Lakeview room)
Please follow this link for online registration. The workshop registration fee is $50.
For any workshop enquiries please email John Moore (email@example.com)
For any logistical enquiries please email Annette Brockerhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
View the latest Agenda – updated 12 August 2019